Art, // March 20, 2015
Alex Harvie – ARTIST
Interview with artist Alex Harvie —
1. Who are you and what do you do?
Alex Harvie visual artist and live painter.
2. Why art?
I have always loved art and expressing myself.
3. What is your earliest memory of wanting to be an artist?
As long as i can remember… mom used to take me to art museums, art class in school. I did go to college originally for electrical engineering, but calculus 2 and I aren’t that compatible, so I went to graphic design and then to studio art.
4. What are your favorite subject(s) and media(s)?
My paintings are usually floating bonsai’s, landscapes/cityscapes, abstracts, time… and my live paintings are more “of a culmination of the party” with guests and people groovin’ recording what happens in the moment.
5. How do you work and approach your subject?
On the fly – i love improvisation and adaptation – usually there’s a sketch involved before painting…
6. What are your favorite art work(s), artist(s)?
Marcel Duchamp and his “Nude Descending Staircase,” Anselm Kiefer, Pablo Picasso, Vincent van Gogh, Salvador Dalí, Leonardo da Vinci, Claude Monet, Mark Rothko, Robert Rauschenberg, and Gustav Klimt.
Current artists – TJ Black, James Michalopoulos, and Brent Houzenga.
7. What are the best responses you have had to your work?
My favorite part of live painting, is at the end of the event, when the painting is complete, and everyone’s around the painting, taking selfies and pointing out who they are to each other… I truly feel like I’ve connected with my audience.
8. What do you like about your work?
I love how I run into folks who have bought my work years ago and tell me they still love it and see new things in them every day.
9. What advice would you give to other artists?
Drop out of art school and go to business school… to make it in this world you must play the game.
10. Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?
I hope to break into large scale sculpture, continue painting, and growing our company Harvie Ventures.
Dyle Films: http://www.dylefilms.com/?postID=171&alex-harvie-live-wedding-painting