Music, // November 20, 2014
Island in the Sky – MUSICIANS
Island in the Sky is an alternative rock band from Calgary formed in January 2014 by Brad O’Neill (Bass), Spencer McIntosh (Guitar), and Willis Sturrup (Drums and Vocals). Drawing influences from artists like the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Jimi Hendrix, Island in the Sky combines styles to make a unique sound of their own. The band released their debut album on October 25th and word is spreading quickly.
Interview with Island in the Sky
1. Who are you and what do you do?
We are Island in the Sky. We jam, record music, and play shows.
2. Why music?
It is a great way to express ourselves and we love jamming.
3. What is your earliest memory of wanting to be involved in music?
Brad: When my brother quit playing the bass and handed it down to me (11 years old).
Spencer: Learning Seven Nation Army on a borrowed guitar (10 years old).
Willis: Listening to Disney albums on the way to Banff (8 years old).
4. What are your favorite subject(s) and style(s)?
Anything made by a person who is passionate about their art.
5. How do you work and approach a new piece that you are working on?
Usually songs are created from a Jam, if not, one of us brings in an idea and we create a song through collaboration.
7. What are the best responses you have had to your work?
The response our friends have given us regarding our album and shows has been really positive. We are very grateful for the support.
8. What do you like about your work?
It is diverse and made by friends.
9. What advice would you give to other musicians?
Play music because you love it.
10. Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?
Touring the world, making platinum records.
Youtube Video (lyric video): http://youtu.be/Ch84tne3RY4