Art, // October 7, 2022
Ulysses Galletti — ARTIST
Interview with artist Ulysses Galletti —
1. Tell us a little about yourself.
I live in Brazil, city of São Paulo/SP, where I was born on 09/16/1940. My academic background was in the areas of Accounting Sciences and Business Administration.
2. Why art?
I understand art as a means of communication, which allows us to transmit our ideas.
3. What is your earliest memory of wanting to be an artist?
A drawing class, in the junior high school, in which the teacher taught how to draw, showing that everything should start with the so-called vanishing points. His explanation won me over forever.
4. What are your favorite themes? What materials do you use in your works?
I try to convey my feelings, ideas, and thoughts, always in the simplest and clearest way possible. My first drawing was the rooster. Then I drew houses, buildings, objects, and geometric figures, such as squares and rectangles, in the abstract paintings. I do digital painting. I use a notebook, a graphics tablet, and graphite software that edits images.
5. How do you work and approach the subject of your works?
Initially, an image catches my attention. I imagine representing it my way on the computer, other times, sometimes I use a sheet of squared paper, I make a rudimentary sketch in pencil. Then on the computer I do the digital painting, initially researching the color palettes that I imagine using on the internet.
7. What are the best responses you’ve had to your work?
The encouragement of family, relatives and friends. I was struck by the attention given by the entity that brings together Accountants in São Paulo, I refer to the State Accounting Council of the State of São Paulo. A digital painting I made representing the complete set of Financial Statements allowed me to receive the medal of the Order of Accounting Merit, for having distinguished me in the visual arts.
8. What do you like most about your job?
Spending hours, disconnected from the world, dedicating myself to transmitting in digital painting something I created, and that will brighten the eyes of those who see it.
9. Do you have any other activities, besides being a plastic artist?
I’m actually an accounting entrepreneur. I have digital painting as a derivative.
10. What are your main participations in exhibitions?
My participation in exhibitions so far has always been virtual. The first in-person exhibition will take place in November.
The main exhibitions I attended were:
• Group Obras de Art ”Ulysses Galletti – From Accountant to Painter on 06/03/2021
• “The constructivist painting of Ulysses Galletti, carried out by the Regional Accounting Council of the State of São Paulo on 08/11/2021.”
The most recent were virtual exhibitions at Raphael Art Gallery organized by Edmundo Cavalcanti:
• Inspirations from 08/31 to 09/15/2021
• Spring of Art from 10/28 to 11/28/2-21
• Modern Art Week 22 from 01/05 to 02/05/2022
• Creative Art from 03/09 to 03/31/2022
• Art My Way 08/22
11. What advice would you give to other artists or future artists?
To perform well, you need creativity, determination, discipline, initiative, and manual skill.
12. Where do you see yourself in 10/5 years?
Living in my country house, dedicating myself to digital painting, exhibiting and selling my works.
13. Plans for the future?
Participating in face-to-face and virtual exhibitions, creating a website, and having a curator with whom I can exchange ideas about my paintings.