Art, // October 9, 2023
Vera Lucia Correia — ARTIST
Interview with Brazilian artist Vera Lucia Correia —
1. Tell us a little about yourself.
My name is Vera Lucia Correia, I was born in Simão Pereira, in the interior of Minas Gerais-Brazil, where I still live today. I graduated in History from Uniacademia and Specialized in History and Afro-Brazilian and Indigenous Culture from Uninter de Juiz de Fora-MG – EAD, I am currently doing a Latu Sensu Specialization in Visual Arts EAD from Facuminas-Faculdade de Minas Gerais.
2. Why art?
Art has always been present in my life, I like to move my eyes and my hands through colors and give them shapes like a dance.
3. What is your earliest memory of wanting to be an artist?
This is a memory I will never forget, because when I was a little girl I received a box of colored pencils with infinite colors for my father’s birthday, and my first canvas was my sister’s book of Sinbá the Sailor adventure stories.
4. What are your favorite themes?
What materials do you use in your works?
My favorite theme is landscapes, where I transform any tension into calm with more intense and vivid colors, using brushes, palette knives, and ink pens for details, but still-lifes are also welcome as inspiration.
5. How do you work and approach the theme of your works?
My works appear wherever my eyes go, I like to paint a twilight sky, with tones of purple, lilac, or orange. I like the different ways that vegetation and trees form.
6. Do any artists inspire you?
References to Claude Monet’s Impressionism are what caught my attention the most, due to the strong colors in his works, however, I identified with the Watercolors by Professor Daniel “Pito” Campos, with his Natural and marine landscapes, in which I took a course through Domestika, which are techniques that I transpose to acrylic.
7. What are the best responses you’ve had to your work?
From a follower, who said that my works are unique. And in fact, they are, because no work of art is the same, as each has its own identity.
8. What do you like most about your work?
When mixing the paints, they transform into specific colors, which sometimes I didn’t choose.
9. Do you have any other activity besides being an artist?
At the time no.
10. What are your main participations in exhibitions?
• Acrylics on paper – UFJF Culture Forum Art Gallery September/2023;
• Rio 40 degrees-10 on December 30, 2022;
• firstname.lastname@example.org-October 2022;
• TelaGalery. art -1st 3D Virtual Collective Exhibition- September 2022;
• Raphael Arte Gallery- Creative Art from March 9th to 31st, 2022
11. What advice would you give to other artists or future artists?
For artists starting an artistic life, it is very important to focus on what they really want or are interested in, because otherwise, don’t even start. Everything in life is dedication and effort.
12. Where do you see yourself in 5/10 years?
I definitely see myself making a lot of art so that it spreads more and more.
13. Plans for the future.
My plans for the future include, within my baggage, exhibiting more frequently, whether in person or virtually and participating in other interviews, talking to other artists, through podcasts or videos, exchanging experiences and techniques.
Vera Lucia Correia